Back at the start of the month I committed to being an overall better person. I looked at things that I really should be doing automatically and wrote them down in the hope that I could do at least one of these things on a regular and daily basis.
So although month 1 is not completely over yet, I wanted to see overall how I got on.
For the first few working days of the new year I will admit it was quite tough to follow through on any of my resolutions and commitments. I think everyone found the first few days back at work a bit of a nightmare – don’t deny it. You know you did. Luckily for me it was only a short week and I was delighted when the week was over and I could really get back and stuck in to a routine again.
Looking over each column and judging on an overall PASS or FAIL ratio – here we go.
- Stop Procrastating – FAIL – ok it is really neither here to there but overall I am still trying to shake myself in to this one just alittle bit more. So it is a fail.
- Be an early riser – PASS ! So happy with this one. I haven’t had to jump my way out of bed and dash out the door yet this year.
- Be on time – PASS – in general courtesy of the above.
- Do more kind deeds – FAIL – I can’t think of one kind deed that I did in January. Oh heck – this one needs more effort.
- Don’t bad mouth others – PASS – I think I did ok on this one ( surprises me too )
- Read one meaningful article – FAIL unless you can count reading all about Kim K and the baby as a meaningful article. No? Ok didn’t think so.
Ok column one down and that is 3 Passes out of 6. Not too bad.
- Deliver my best performance at work – PASS – I think I am doing a marvellous job in work even if I say so myself.
- Get rid of clutter – FAIL – ok this is a medium as I am starting on this process but it definetly is not even half way there yet. I have alot of clutter.
- Learn to see the positive – FAIL – I am working on it….. bare with me. When you go through so much crap in life it is sometimes hard to see positive.
- Turn every challenge in to an opportunity – PASS – I am doing quite well on this one as I feel especially with work life it is helping my own skills and my CV.
- Stop beating myself when bad things happen – FAIL – I haven’t had much reason to beat myself up so I can’t say if I would have reacted in a better way.
- Tidy as I go – PASS – So happy at this one.
Column 2 – 3 passes out of 6. Is there a trend starting here?
- Discipline myself with money – PASS – So far so good. I am adding to my fitness money jar every time I exercise. I am conscience of prices. I even went shopping and bought NOTHING! Not because I am slightly poor but because I didn’t need anything and I had restrained to say no. It killed me by the way … but I said no.
- Be a self starter – PASS – I am motiviating myself out of the ball park in work and in my every day life.
- Strive for excellence – PASS – I am doing quite good on this one as well.
- Say Thank you – PASS – simple things in life are so good.
- Say please – PASS – simple but works in making me a better person. It is amazing how many times in general life i was forgetting to say please and thank you to people.
- Stop rolling my eyes – FAIL – Not that I have done it – but knowing me I did and I just can’t remember. Lol
5 Passes out of 6 – oohhh this is getting good.
- Keep Promises – PASS – So far so good. This has to be maintained across the board year though.
- Quit Complaining – PASS – I was good this month.
- Complement people more – PASS – Only just today did I compliment a co-worker.
- Remember peoples birthdays / special occasions – PASS – Thank you Facebook.
- Take time out to rejuvenate – FAIL – I haven’t really pampered myself since Jan 1st – so I need to work on this one a bit more.
- See the positive side – PASS – If I was any more positive even I would punch my own lights out.
5 Passes out of 6 – another little trend starting
- Quit gossiping – FAIL – I even walked away from the scenrioa i was gossiping in and i immediately felt bad.
- Be more positivie – PASS – abit of a duplicate to the last column but I am.
- Be more forgiving of myself and others – PASS – I was very good at not punching someone that forgot to call a very important client which almost cost us business.
- Be the first to say hello – PASS – even if it is just in social occasions it is a step up for me so I am taking the glory and credit on this one.
- Give people more than they expect – PASS – I am trying to go that extra mile.
- Live life to the fullest – PASS – I just asked someone out on a date !!!
5 passes out of 6.
One month of passes on some of these items does not make a successful me and does not mean that change manifesto has worked. I am going to keep a spreadsheet (like below) and it is only when the majority of the board is pass on a consistent basis will I know if this has truly been a successful year of change.
How are you getting on with your New Year Resolutions and Commitments?